Video of someone learning SC2

Standing Time slot for WPO members to meet up and play RTS Games
unbutu
Lieutenant General

Video of someone learning SC2

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Sharing here because I've seen threads from WPO many years ago from people mentionning Starcraft 2. And then 3 things hapenned:

-I saw this reddit thread of someone learning SC2 slowly and steadily, and reddit being impressed by how it really is when you begin

-In yesterday's HoI4 game, while discussing the difficulties of the Soviet front, Bill spontaneously mentionned SC2 as a game he would not play, because it's reputation is fast paced and high APM.

-I had been playing SC2 all day yesterday. And most of the week, really, in a attempt to master more of it. It still feels like the most intuitive, best designed interface of ANY game to me. Anytime I have to create air wings or similar crappy interface in HoI4, my heart goes to SC2.

I just wanted to share with you that I think of SC2 very similarly to the speed chess formats (3 minutes and 5 minutes chess games): Strategy games where priorisation: doing the possible with the time you have is the best you can hope for. And you become better at it constantly, and it might be the most frustrating, and yet the most satisfying games too :)

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Re: Video of someone learning SC2

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm

HOI4 and SC2 do draw a lot of comparisons but it's a little asynchronous.

While SC2, the meta is very tight and "strategy" decisions are normally born out of pure playing experience and knowing what counters what, and what the various timings are. In HOI4, the strategic decisions are very different, and require more time to bake as the meta is basically non-existent (IMO) and you find that coordination and logistics pre-planning are far more important than timings or hard counters.

However, SC2 and HOI4 have a lot more in common tactically. Both require screen movement to manage and even micro your forces. Mastering situational awareness beyond your screen is similar in both games....note that this requires zero APM, and I think is the principle failing of some players in both games who struggle to manage their forces. APM can be replaced with efficiency in both games, and a functional knowledge of queuing up orders is greatley beneficial in both games. Lastely, seeing the immediate future tactical situation is also important. In both games, tactical advantage can be both grossly obvious (high ground, rivers and ramps) down to very subtle, such as forming encirclements and "spoon scooping" to maximize your convcaves in SC2. Neither of these skills require APM, just a keen eye and some foresight...along with a little experience to notice how the tactical situation is evolving during an engagement.

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

Alex_brunius
General

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:34 am

unbutu wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm
-I had been playing SC2 all day yesterday. And most of the week, really, in a attempt to master more of it. It still feels like the most intuitive, best designed interface of ANY game to me. Anytime I have to create air wings or similar crappy interface in HoI4, my heart goes to SC2.
SC2 is awesome.

Yes it does have a great interface, but also consider how simple and limited the scope is compared to HoI4. It is very possible each function or button in SC2 received up to 100 times as much attention and love compared to each button in HoI4 ( roughly: 10 times bigger team/budget x 10 smaller scope ).

If you want to play SC2 anytime Europe is not asleep let me know what discord to join!

Altaris
Field Marshall

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:12 am

Yes, UI is so important for a game that is going to be played in real-time.

PDS manages to circumvent this by not particularly marketing to the MP community though. Too bad it's AI makes such a poor opponent :)

unbutu
Lieutenant General

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:53 pm

God bless HoI4: the game that makes me want to become a UI designer to improve things in the world !
Yes it does have a great interface, but also consider how simple and limited the scope is compared to HoI4. It is very possible each function or button in SC2 received up to 100 times as much attention and love compared to each button in HoI4
HOI4 and SC2 do draw a lot of comparisons but it's a little asynchronous.
Yeah. Maybe it was a bad idea to mention another game while talking of this: Even by Hoi4 standards, some parts of it's UI are painful. The ease with witch you can decide '' Those ground divisions are not working, let's change the template for all of them'' compared to ''All my anti-submarines group need 1 more destroyer, let me just go click 10x5 times to change them to that other ''template'' ''

I guess at this point, it's just agreeing more with Alex: Some parts of the game received a lot more love than others !

I'm just praising readability, and bringing to my fellow Hoi4 enthousiast the word that, even thought SC2 (and chess) seem much simpler, they contain a awesome amount of strategy ! The things you decide to do are often something else you decide not to do !
If you want to play SC2 anytime Europe is not asleep let me know what discord to join!
Friended you on discord

I'm practicing a Zergling drop these days, wich I hope will help me get back into Diamond. I think it would be awesome in 2v2s, we could try that. But first, I need to stop not spending my money to micro these lings :)

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 am

For what it is worth - Paradox has just started investing in UI. Stellaris's new head dev is a UI focused developer.
"Reality has a well-known Liberal Bias."
-Stephen Colbert