Also, I was thinking about rules. Since this is a FFA system, I want to create a system where we attempt to keep everyone in the game. I also want to create an environment where everyone is vying for something from start to finish. So this is my first attempt:
War & Conquering:
- You may not declare a separate war on an empire already at War. I'm iffy on this rule, but it may be required to keep the douche baggin to a minimum.
- No nation may be forced to reduce their empire to fewer worlds than their Core Worlds.
- A conquering player should, in good faith, leave LOS of owned territory between a defeated player's Core Worlds.
- The worlds a defeated player keeps is their capital and the X closest systems (by direct hyperlane range) to that capital. X = number of Core Worlds.
- A conquering empire may allow the defeated empire to keep any number of systems/worlds above the minimum requirements above. (this could be used to coffer support/loyalty out of a future vassal)
- Vassals may only build a Starbase in their Core World systems. Their Master may give permission to build starbases in other systems, but that permission may be rescinded at any time.
- A Vassal should, in good faith, support their Master in future wars.
- A Master may order a Vassal's fleet "To Port!!", which requires that vassal to immediately send their fleets to a Starbase with docks/crew quarters.
- Members of a federation who decide to leave, must sign a NAP with all current members of the Federation at the time of leaving.
So I'm trying to think of a method of victory in a FFA, the best method I could come up with is a points system. Essentially, each player must declare points earned or lost during a session and those points will be added and posted immediately at the end of each session. Here are some ideas for points...
- Winning an Independent War: +5 points
- Winning a war as a Master: +3 points
- Winning a war as a vassal: +2 points
- Winning a war as a Federation: +2 points, plus 5 points divided among members (round up).
- Losing a War: -2 points
- Vassalizing an empire: +2 points
- Being vassalized: -2 points
- Being liberated: +3 points
- Liberating an Empire: +1 Point, plus 3 points divided among involved faction members (round up). Points are awarded if this is accomplished diplomatically as well. This is not awarded to a Master who releases their vassal, this award is only for a nation who by force or diplomacy facilitates the liberation.
- All war positive points awarded are reduced to +1 Point OR all negative points awarded are increased -1 Points...if you join the war after it initially starts (after initial +/-2% Warscore).
- Joining a Federation: One time, +5 Points
- Leaving a Federation: One time, -3 Points
- First empire to build a specific Mega Structure: +5 Points
- Defeating a Fallen Empire: +10 Points (split among participants, round up)
A note here, these points are mostly to encourage interaction between players, and save the megastructures points (to throw a bone to the forum's pacifists...looking at you Stu!!) the idea for the points system is to reward successfully imposing your will into the grand politique of the game. I dont think we should be looking to award points on "strategy" items, such as First to do X or Research Y, or colonize Z planets, etc etc.
Again, this is all work in progress...and h3ll, we may even want to do a simply ruleless game.