Release date for Man the Guns appears to be Friday, 28 Feb 2018.

Man yours, and others' guns! ...Sundays 8PM-11PM EST
Bill
Field Marshall

Re: Release date for Man the Guns appears to be Friday, 28 Feb 2018.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 am

Hello Richard,

The proposal to try alternate history would put a new shine on the game.

Although part of me likes the predictability of the "old system", I'm game.

Creative!

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

Nation prefrences:
Greyhound: Japan, Germany
Unbutu: Manchuko

I am assuming the first game will be unmodded? In that case the only house rule we need to tweak thats unrelated to alex mod is when can japan start marco polo. I think the consensus last game with run-away-bill-china-zomgdeathanddestruction was that it was a bit too harsh last time. Thoughts?

Because a game takes months to finish, there is plenty of time to "get a feel for the game" in the weeks before we start and during the slow starting portion of the game.

A crazy alt history game after that would be cool but it would be good to get a real game in first.

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

What is (main) on the spreadsheet implying?

Bill
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm

greyhoundgames wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm
What is (main) on the spreadsheet implying?
Ah, "main" = primary player.

The choice to be a support (co-op) player was erased from the selection menu.

harbringerxv8
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm

greyhoundgames wrote:

I am assuming the first game will be unmodded? In that case the only house rule we need to tweak thats unrelated to alex mod is when can japan start marco polo. I think the consensus last game with run-away-bill-china-zomgdeathanddestruction was that it was a bit too harsh last time. Thoughts?
My understanding was that the Axis intentionally delayed Marco Polo to coincide with the invasion of Yugoslavia, giving China several extra months to prepare beyond our established limitations. I'd like to see the outcome of the rule implemented as intended before modifying it. Axis invaded in what, June? When the rules allow for an invasion in early March.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced that the meta has to be China falling to ensure a good game. We've had Axis victories with underperforming Japans in the past.
-Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Richard Nixon wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm
What does everyone think>?
This was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=4827

I think it would be fun, but I' much prefer some kind of narrative/ahistorical story line to follow, support, role play.

I'm not sure it's what we should do for our first game. Don't put to much weight into my opinion however, my schedule is crazy at the moment, so I'm not 100% I should jump into this game.
Harb wrote:My understanding was that the Axis intentionally delayed Marco Polo to coincide with the invasion of Yugoslavia, giving China several extra months to prepare beyond our established limitations. I'd like to see the outcome of the rule implemented as intended before modifying it. Axis invaded in what, June? When the rules allow for an invasion in early March.
Let's also not forget that Japan was deep into China throughout the war. It wasnt until the US invasion that Japan was formally kicked out of China. If JAP was to say, get caught in a long battle in China, but also expand their pacific presence and actually defend its eastern flank...it would take much longer.

Remember, Australia took most of the Pacific with a couple divisions and squadron of cruisers. Not a measure of potential balance imo.

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

Bill
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm

harbringerxv8 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm
My understanding was that the Axis intentionally delayed Marco Polo to coincide with the invasion of Yugoslavia, giving China several extra months to prepare beyond our established limitations.
Japan (Joe) would best speak to the timing of Marco Polo.

As China, I recall Japan was committed to an early invasion of China (a la Greyhound previously).

We Allies complained. "HEY! Read the rules." ("Thou shalt delay Marco Polo") .

The rules had been changed between the Summer WTO game and the Fall WTO game.

ummd
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pm

greyhoundgames wrote:
I am assuming the first game will be unmodded?
Perhaps Alex will update his mod relatively soon after release... Isn’t beta access worth something?? ;)

ummd
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

aphrochine wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Let's also not forget that Japan was deep into China throughout the war. It wasnt until the US invasion that Japan was formally kicked out of China. If JAP was to say, get caught in a long battle in China, but also expand their pacific presence and actually defend its eastern flank...it would take much longer.

Remember, Australia took most of the Pacific with a couple divisions and squadron of cruisers. Not a measure of potential balance imo.
Agreed. Japan’s advantage is (relatively) unhindered mobility until 1941.We should see whether that advantage can be used effectively under the new fuel system before making changes.

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm
As China, I recall Japan was committed to an early invasion of China (a la Greyhound previously).
I think Harb is correct, there was some delay to keep the Allies for putting a GOI on Yugo to give Italy the early IC.

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

unbutu
Lieutenant General

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 pm

First, I'd like this game to be Unmodded Historical Man The Guns. Here's why: Whatever the first game is, it's gonna influence our perception for houserule policies and mod development for the whole DLC. I want that first impression to come from the unmodded, historical game.

Here's my preferences of country
1) Italy
2) Manchu
3) Vichy France (Maybe start on Venezuela or something ? )

Bill
Field Marshall

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for the input from Joe, Greyhound, and Unbutu (and Aphro, Mr. I'm-not-100%-I-should-jump-into-this-game -- and we hope you do :grin: ) about nation preferences. Preferences stated so far are as follows:
War Plan Orange Spring 2019 nation preference list.PNG
War Plan Orange Spring 2019 nation preference list.PNG (75.83 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Remember these words of wisdom from ancient texts:
harbringerxv8 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:53 am
Let's keep on mind guys that nation selection is not first come first serve, but intended to create the best balance while accomodating as many players as possible. So please be honest with your country preferences, and don't just base them off of what has/hasn't been taken.
And also from the Book of Aphrochine:
aphrochine wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 am
Yes, with our games lasting several weeks, it's important we get good nation-player pairings and team balance.

Creating imbalances can throw games for a loop, like what happens when GER fails to knock out France and GER is facing a two front war in late 1941 when SOV can break it's NAP.

Alex_brunius
General

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 am

ummd wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:39 pm
Perhaps Alex will update his mod relatively soon after release... Isn’t beta access worth something?? ;)
Sorry, but I don't think I can guarantee having an updated mod right away after release. Expect a few weeks of delay after MtG release and you won't be disappointed.

The three main challenges:
- USA & UK need significant balancing.
- Balancing fuel.
- With all the new defines, features and other tools Paradox added the last year it will be hard to just focus on making it compatible (boring) and not get stuck doing fun new things instead.

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Before you guys shoot down my china tweak suggestion 3 things need to be said:
1) 2 months is not that long. Sure it did something but bill shang-"dong" blocked joe pretty hard (see what i did there?)
2) I sent joe 10-20k guns cannot remember which at the very start of the war. And it still didn't make or break him. Russia did not send anywhere near that many guns. I sent joe a lot of other things in smaller doses as well.
3) Bill got so strong that I had contributed about 100 divisions to the china effort late game including a full group of med panzers and we were unable to push.... 100 divisions... think about that.

In conclusion, joe took a long time to make serious progress and he prob had 15-20 extra german gun divisions in play as well as a partner in the region. Joe had some SV volunteers and not too much else if I recall.

Edit: We could chalk this up to: Bill is just really good.
Edit: In looking at various things, I am ok with not pushing back the date. Maybe alex can put that in his mod, a pre-req of jan 1 37 on marco polo

Bill
Field Marshall

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm

greyhoundgames wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 pm
Edit: We could chalk this up to: Bill is just really good.
The World's Longest Frontline © established during the Sino-Japanese war allowed everyone to play.

The World's Longest Frontline © was the most welcoming of all Adult Swims.

Folks from around the world jumped into that swimming hole.

What a team effort on both sides.

All along The World's Longest Frontline ©

Axis had Germans, Romanians, Japanese, Manchurians, and even Imperial Russians!

Allies had Chinese, Americans, Britains, Australians, Persians, and even Rajians!

Each sent their best and brightest.