Brother Lobo
Field Marshall

Re: Pre-planning for the next war

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 am

greyhoundgames wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 am
Anything else?
A couple other ideas-

Forbidden countries- everyone chooses a nation that is usually off limits. Some good ones would be Turkey, Sweden, Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Iran, Spain etc... this could also include "majors" that usually die early like Poland, France, or China. Joining an existing faction would be illegal. Players must create their own factions and use "diplomacy" to decide who joins what.

World War 1- there is a good conversion mod that turns HOI4 into The Great War. Anyone up for it?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =699709023
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." - Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis"

Sir Garnet
General

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 am

Please advise me of the save game location.

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 am

Here
EndOfSession.zip
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 am

I posted an idea a while back as well for a cou focused game where you can only volunteer and cause coups and the winner is the guy with the most faction members or otherwise determined metric. Basically a whole bunch of mini cold wars

Bill
Field Marshall

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:40 am

greyhoundgames wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 am
I posted an idea a while back as well for a cou focused game where you can only volunteer and cause coups and the winner is the guy with the most faction members or otherwise determined metric. Basically a whole bunch of mini cold wars
Clever!

Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

Here is the flagpole:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=20262121

Anyone:

Edit as you see fit

Bill
Field Marshall

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

At 24 points, the highest scoring game type is:
  • Everybody on majors (primary or coop) and run at speed 1 when war starts and micro the crap out of everything (aka alex's group)
Preferences for type of HoI4 game to play v2.PNG
Preferences for type of HoI4 game to play v2.PNG (114.02 KiB) Viewed 206 times

Noted: Unbutu does not like this game style. Perhaps there is a different style of game we can all enjoy (> 5 satisfaction rating). Personally, I'd like to have Unbutu participate in the next game.

Feel free to add your preferred game style. Add and edit as needed:

unbutu
Lieutenant General

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:05 am

Someone smarter than me saw there was 3 options tied at 24 , and changed his votes strategically !

I should have put 10 on WWEurope , felt like it had garantees against a lot of disappointments that were expressed recently.

Greyhound and I thought of a mod where people start in neighboor wars, 1v1s that scale into 2v2s and continents and so on. The core ideas are

- Your parents were right saying you are special : everyone has a shot at beating their opponent ( they are very similar in strength) and becoming as major (medium?) Than others ! This way the factories are more distributed within the teams.

-By starting the wars all over the world, we could valorise some places that are usually ignored ( looking at you south america)

- Let's face ahead of time the potential criticism that this is not historical. Of course not. This is motivated by gameplay and human reasons:

A) makes the player's more interested in having the same speed, they start war at the same time.

B) gives a lot more experience and responsibilities to each individual, wich is the only way to expect more average performances in the long run. ''No Olympic coach ever said to his athlete ; here's a list of your screw ups last competition, now go do your best, it's the only option , my salary depends on it and I promised my kids you would win for them.''

Consider this a interestest check. Would you guys try that mod if it was to be made ? It's called Broadway, '' because there's a lot of theathers'' :)

Bill
Field Marshall

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:10 pm

unbutu wrote:
Someone smarter than me saw there was 3 options tied at 24 , and changed his votes strategically !

I should have put 10 on WWEurope , felt like it had garantees against a lot of disappointments that were expressed recently.

Greyhound and I thought of a mod where people start in neighboor wars, 1v1s that scale into 2v2s and continents and so on. The core ideas are

- Your parents were right saying you are special : everyone has a shot at beating their opponent ( they are very similar in strength) and becoming as major (medium?) Than others ! This way the factories are more distributed within the teams.

-By starting the wars all over the world, we could valorise some places that are usually ignored ( looking at you south america)

- Let's face ahead of time the potential criticism that this is not historical. Of course not. This is motivated by gameplay and human reasons:

A) makes the player's more interested in having the same speed, they start war at the same time.

B) gives a lot more experience and responsibilities to each individual, wich is the only way to expect more average performances in the long run. ''No Olympic coach ever said to his athlete ; here's a list of your screw ups last competition, now go do your best, it's the only option , my salary depends on it and I promised my kids you would win for them.''

Consider this a interestest check. Would you guys try that mod if it was to be made ? It's called Broadway, '' because there's a lot of theathers'' :)
Clever.

No. Wait.

I give it a 6.

If anyone wishes to also put the above idea on the tracking chart, go for it.

The game-style preference chart is found here:

Bill
Field Marshall

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Anyone with the wisdom of Solomon?

There is a tie (probably due to shenanigans as pointed out above).

Joe and Unbutu are mutually opposed. [Edit: They do seem to agree on the issue of China, though. Perhaps we can build on that!]

How to cut this baby?

Preferences for type of HoI4 game to play v3.PNG
Preferences for type of HoI4 game to play v3.PNG (125.83 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Bill
Field Marshall

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:23 pm

unbutu wrote:
Consider this a interestest check. Would you guys try that mod if it was to be made ? It's called Broadway, '' because there's a lot of theathers''
Haha!

"Broadway"

:bravo:

Bill
Field Marshall

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Let the pre-planning continue.
  • If we do a conventional game, here are the nations:

Germany
    Italy
    Japan -- Mikey has wanted to play Japan for a while now.

Minors

Romania
    SIam

Allied/Comintern
    UK
    US
    USSR

Minors

Any commonwealth
    China

Mexico, Brazil, Spain, even Finland

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Before anything else, we need to decide what mod if any we are using.

mikeydz
Field Marshall

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm
Japan -- Mikey has wanted to play Japan for a while now.
I've decided to drop from the HOI4 game.

After the accusations that every single item I've debated during rule discussions was not because I felt that rule or change was best for the HOI4 game here on WPO, but because I have some secret hatred and animosity toward another player, as well as the implication that I'm in essence to afraid to play Japan under some of the restrictions I've argued for (even though I've asked to play Japan multiple times in the last year), has become too much.

The Fall 2018 game I think was the recent high point of HOI4 gaming here on WPO, but since then, it has degraded badly. While it has not been helped by the constant and massive changes to the mod (to the point where a tactic or strategy works well one game, but fails completely and spectacularly the next), the more detrimental change is the mindset it seems of winning at whatever cost is most important, as well as the mindset that as long as it has not been banned by the house rules, it's fair game.

I don't know if I will skip just this next game, or it will be an extended hiatus, but I really think the WPO HOI4 game has lost most of it's fun, which is really sad.

And once again. I hold no animosity toward any of the HOI4 players (never have and never will), even though it's obvious from last night that at least one player thinks I'm full of poop when I say that.

greyhoundgames
Field Marshall

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Maybe a general break from the game for people to rethink whats worth fighting about vs just enjoying the game is a good idea. I have also felt that there is too much hostility in the group for a while.

I am all for spirited debates on the forums about balance and rules ideas etc but the amount of people getting genuinely upset about other peoples choice's doesn't make sense in a weekend recreational activity.

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:41 am

Maybe we could do a Stellaris or Victoria 2 game in the meanwhile?