WPO 40's MP Mod

A forum for discussion and coordination of design of custom scenarios

Moderators: Jones, aphrochine

aphrochine
Field Marshall

WPO 40's MP Mod

Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:36 pm

I know we've discussed modding before, but not as a real effort...other than trying to added some generals and the like.

I wanted to float the idea of working on a Mod, WPO owned, that would provide for a fairly balanced (geo-politically) fight between 2 powers, instead of a hard to balanced 3. The other part, would be to put the begining of the war later, perhaps scenario starting around 1942 and war to be ignited around 1943-44. This would open up some later techs that we usually do not get to see.

My initial thought would be to remove the formation of the Nazi party, and instead see Germany go Communist. We would need to determine what to do with Japan and Italy though.

But, anything geo-politically would be fine with these criteria met for the 2 Alliances:

- Roughly equal IC bases
- Roughly equal nation counts (for player balancing)
- Roughly equal begining military strengths
- No extremely isolated nations from their alliance (such as Japan)
- Lack of event dependence (sandbox). I'm not a huge fan of events in MP.

Any thoughts or blind volunteers??

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

Jones
Field Marshall

Re: WPO 40's MP Mod

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:29 pm

That is ambitious. I wouldn't even know where to start.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

nibelung
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:53 am

hm... what about events? what's the set up?
Ils ne passeront pas!
Robert nivelle

Imortal
Major General

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:01 am

aphrochine wrote:
- Roughly equal IC bases
- Roughly equal nation counts (for player balancing)
- Roughly equal begining military strengths
- No extremely isolated nations from their alliance (such as Japan)
- Lack of event dependence (sandbox). I'm not a huge fan of events in MP.
Sound's like...Armaggedon scenario?!
"There are two things that are endless: the universe and human stupidity. I am not completely sure about the universe being endless though." - Albert Einstein

nibelung
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:05 am

yeah, and i would kind of like it if we played it in an mp game... i think it should be included in the poll...
Ils ne passeront pas!
Robert nivelle

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:54 am

The problem with Armageddon, and this is my personal opinion so I'd love to hear yours in detail, is that all nations start with pre-war technology. This kinda sucks because you have to research all of your techs in war time so it could be session 2 or 3, before you have an army of '36 infantry, roughly '37. The other issue I have is Land Docs. Because of the research years, it appears that Blitz doc path owns all, and it would be stupid to try any other path. The other thing is I dont think some of the tech teams are all that balanced. Lastly, Arma has 3 alliances. Three alliances is hard to handle, because 2 alliances is always gonna gang up on one. In the historical sense, with the Allies and the Comintern this was ok, because the Axis was just a monster that required the other 2 alliances to co-op in order to win. In Arma, thats not the case, so you'll find that it'll be 2v1 in certain situations. Edit: A great example of this is the Confederate States, they have USNA on their northern border, and commies on the southern border. Since all nations start with the same strength, the Confeds are outnumbered 2-1, and will lose every game. I wouldnt appear that anyone in employment of Paradox has ever played an MP game in their lives.

The Mod I was thinking about would be 2 sides. This would remove political dick moves, and other crap that accompanies 3 alliances. Fascism would be the easier doctrine to lose ideologically, since it was the newest. We'd only need to write in some history that saw to it, the failure of the 3 fascist regimes (germany, italy and japan).

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

nibelung
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:09 am

we could play abbyss and give players the chance to ally with whoever they want and start the war whenever they want

PS: japan wasn't fascist it just shows up that way in the game to facilitate an alliance with germany
Ils ne passeront pas!
Robert nivelle