HOI4: Noob Fight

AARs and session summaries for all WPO games.

Moderators: Jones, aphrochine

pedal2000
Field Marshall

HOI4: Noob Fight

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:05 am

So my current GSG group (that is off WPO despite my best efforts) is taking a stab at HoI4 + all expansions tomorrow for the first time. Notably with the exception of the Italian player, no one has played more than 5 hours and at least 3 players are going in with less than an hour of game time. I expect it to be terrible.

We have six-eight players:
Nick - Germany
Sean - Japan
Matt - Italy
Mehdi - Spain

Thomas - UK
Colin - USSR
Scott - USA (me).
Felix - France
Royal - India

The minor players are unreliable generally, so it's likely to be a 3v3.

Our ruleset is pretty basic:
1. Have fun
2. Don't be a dick
3. Try not to be gamey

This thread is for semi-regular logging of an AAR for each sessions events as we learn to play HOI4.
Last edited by pedal2000 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Reality has a well-known Liberal Bias."
-Stephen Colbert

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Re: HOI4: Noob Fight

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am

The weight of experience is on the Axis side. Japan has done 3-4 hours of youtube tutorial watching. Germany is a complete noob, but Italy is the only person to complete a game.

On the Allied side, both UK and Soviet's have zero experience and intend to go in blind. I've got HoI2 experience; so I'm just hoping that imports well. I might try and sneak in an hour of youtube tutorials (if anyone has recommendations).

Spain and France are both complete noobs and picked based on unreliability.

I think we're planning to start at the earliest possible start date. I expect my early years to be building factories, stockpiling supplies, and figuring out the game mechanics. My initial end-of-game objectives are something to the effect of:

1. Keep the UK Home Islands from falling until I'm in the war.
2. Keep Hawaii.
3. Nuke Rome.
-Stephen Colbert

harbringerxv8
Field Marshall

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Guard your ports.
-Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm

harbringerxv8 wrote:
Guard your ports.
Will do... Hahaha ominous.
-Stephen Colbert

mikeydz
Field Marshall

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:00 am

harbringerxv8 wrote:
Guard your ports.
Guarding your ports is weak. Everyone to the front!

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am

harbringerxv8 wrote:
Guard your ports.
Guard your borders....and the provinces adjacent to your points. So many games of HOI4 taken on roller coaster rides due to unguarded territory.

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton
"...a bad plan, is always a bad plan." -aphro

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Haha I've passed that on to everyone so we're on equal footing.

We've had a 9th player join as India. Japan is talking big talk about trade convoys and Midway. First session is this evening.
-Stephen Colbert

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am

pedal2000 wrote:
First session is this evening.
I hope fun was had by all...!!

"A good plan, violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week." -Patton

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 am

aphrochine wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 am
pedal2000 wrote:
First session is this evening.
I hope fun was had by all...!!
Sadly, our Germany had an unexpected family dinner so the evening was mostly Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition (which is excellent) and about ten minutes of staring at the initial UI.

My initial thoughts are:

I can rush for a research team pretty early in the focuses. That seems objectively good as a 25% increase to my total research.

I don't understand what is stopping me from (if I was inclined) grabbing the three focuses to War Plan Black and then declaring war on Germany in '37. Possibly the great depression modifier?

I have no idea what the purpose of civilian vs military factories are; but I do intend to build thousands of both.
-Stephen Colbert

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 am

pedal2000 wrote:
I can rush for a research team pretty early in the focuses. That seems objectively good as a 25% increase to my total research.
Yes, +1 tech slots are a must get early.
pedal2000 wrote:
I don't understand what is stopping me from (if I was inclined) grabbing the three focuses to War Plan Black and then declaring war on Germany in '37. Possibly the great depression modifier?
World Tension, most of the juicier NFs for the USA are locked behind WT. However, if your GER/ITA/JAP are not careful with their activities, most of which cause WT, your options will unlock sooner.
pedal2000 wrote:
I have no idea what the purpose of civilian vs military factories are; but I do intend to build thousands of both.
Civilian Industrial Capacity (CIC) is used to build buildings, other factores, infrastructure, bases, forts, etc. Also, your Consumer Goods requirement is taken out of CIC, but is calculated from CIC + MIC.

MIC, Military Industrial Capacity, is used to build equipment and planes. NIC, Naval Industrial Capacity is used to build and repair ships.

Even as the USA, do not plan on building thousands of either. The USA his heavily nerfed compared to history. Industrially, late war USA is only a tad stronger than late war GER. USA is also horribly weak early game and slightly better than 'meh' mid game. Do not expect to be freely swinging d!ck at any point in the game.

mikeydz
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm

pedal2000 wrote:

One of the HR we use is to generally follow the historical timeline until '39. It's entirely possible follow a path where the Axis (or Allies) can create an early war and end the game basically before the it even really starts. What that really means is that several players will have spent several hours investing time in developing their countries for nothing. That's not good for long term player retention.
CF allow the construction of other facilities (MF, Docks, Radar, forts, ect...). The more you have, the more you can build simultaneously.

MF allow you to build more military equipment you can build. Dockyards work in the same way. More docks (different from ports, BTW), the more ships you can build.

Again, generally speaking, most countries will spend the first year or so building CFs, then switch over to military focused constructions. There comes a point where the time you invest in building CF won't be able to generate the payback in extra military built to make more CFs worthwhile, but where that break even point lies is up to you to figure out.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm

mikeydz wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm
pedal2000 wrote:

One of the HR we use is to generally follow the historical timeline until '39. It's entirely possible follow a path where the Axis (or Allies) can create an early war and end the game basically before the it even really starts. What that really means is that several players will have spent several hours investing time in developing their countries for nothing. That's not good for long term player retention.
One thing we did agree/determine last night actually was that for our first game, we intend to try and stay historical to a point so I expect this to more or less be the same here. Sadly that means three boring years for me.
-Stephen Colbert

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 pm

aphrochine wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 am
World Tension, most of the juicier NFs for the USA are locked behind WT. However, if your GER/ITA/JAP are not careful with their activities, most of which cause WT, your options will unlock sooner.
Good to know. Worrisome.
Even as the USA, do not plan on building thousands of either. The USA his heavily nerfed compared to history. Industrially, late war USA is only a tad stronger than late war GER. USA is also horribly weak early game and slightly better than 'meh' mid game. Do not expect to be freely swinging d!ck at any point in the game.
That's so disappointing. I relied on being able to lose a dozen carriers and replace them on a whim so many times in HoI2.
-Stephen Colbert

Sir Garnet
General

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:14 pm

re Videos: Bridger's extended video on playing HOI4 and especially the clear and detailed coverage of use of orders and battle plans is the best I have seen on the subject.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:58 pm

HOI4.png
HOI4.png (2.49 MiB) Viewed 26 times
State of the Union, mid-1937.

Went Continue the New Deal. Then-> WPA-> Scientific Research & Development -> Agricultural Adjustment Act. At this point I didn't have enough support to go into the Limited Intervention, so I went to "Suspend the Prosecution" and then "Reach out to the Ware Group". With some spending of political power, I've started "Limited Intervention" as we close out the session and intend to start fair labor standards after that.
HOI42.png
HOI42.png (204.05 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Major events were Germany invading Denmark, Japan briefly flirting with attacking the Philippines before I caught him due to rising World Tension and he backed off. Italy is planning to attack Yugoslavia. Germany took a while to break through on Denmark but it gave him the chance to use the planner so he's ahead of the game a bit on that front.

Internally, I reorganized my forces and brought my navies into two major battlegroups. At some point I am sure I need to break them out of mega-fleets; but for now they're just off burning oil spinning in circles to generate a ton of navy-power. My armies and airforces are doing that as well; with less success.

As promised I built up the infrastructure of California and Texas (to get sweet sweet oil) then moved to civilian factories. Nebraska got one due to some event, and then after that I sort of randomly picked. Tech was very disorganized. I picked up all the 1936-37 industrial stuff, and went concentrated industry. After that I really am not sure. I picked up Heavy Tanks - I seem oil rich. I have no idea which air doctrine to go, so I intend to examine them during the week.

I think my biggest issue right now is what to burn my military factories on. I am stockpiling a few random things (as you can see) but my naval factories are just on full convoy production because it seems ridiculous to build ancient '36 hulls instead of amazing and beautiful '40 carriers once I have those (which will be a while.) I started subs, mostly just to have something to go harass with, but I think I am going to end that and start another carrier hull or two. I avoided drafting any new troops, as I wanted to focus on building up my industry and stockpiling/repairing everything.

We have agreed on a historical-ish path, but I am not sure how much the Axis team intends to follow that, as evidenced by the early war against Denmark and the justifying against the Philippines.

The Allied battle plan (if any Axis spies are around, unlikely, please avoid):
France has built (or is building) land forts all along the border. The UK intends to provide ground troops and naval support; although he also merged his fleet into two major fleets. India is going to try and hit Ethiopia/North Africa if Japan doesn't pounce immediately. Spain has gone better than expected, so we're hoping for a safe southern border and a hard line to grind the Axis again and burn some time. We're concerned the Axis intends an early war, but so far don't really have any evidence of that. I am concerned Japan is going to sack the Philippines very early, if not me directly.
-Stephen Colbert